Blue screen of Tinkerbell

tags: , , , , ,

I suspect Tinkerbell knows I’m planning to dump her in favour of a newer, pinker, thinner, faster companion.   She revolted and showed me her version of a BSoD. Appparantly the infamous ‘blue screen of death’ (BSoD) has several different forms.    This might be from the Hardware manufacturer,  not a real Microsoft OS blue screen.

Whatever,   its blue,  Tinkerbell died.

Hardware Malfunction - call your manufacturer

A ‘reboot‘ put  Tinkerbell in a temporarilly compliant mood.   I don’t trust her anymore.   She’s been playing up  since the shutdown  power cable meltdown incident.    A pretty Sony Viao is looking more like a good investment with every day that passes.   I want Windows Vista ‘ultimate’.    If I buy a pretty pink laptop thang before Vista is on sale I’ll have to work-out how to  ‘upgrade’ and maybe find out what a ’64 bit processor’ would give me.

More technical stuff.   YUCK!

8 bits of lovely banter on “Blue screen of Tinkerbell”

1. Raymond writes:

That’s the NMI error, which usually means that your memory chips are starting to flake out (NMI is the parity error interrupt). You are right not to trust little Tinky any more.

2. Drew writes:

NMI? Agreed. I thought that the underlying problem could be more than just bad memory, though. I would have guessed that the melting power cord may have hinted at a damaged motherboard. Hardware isn’t my bailiwick, though. I defer to Raymond’s psychic abilities.

Am I the only geek in the world who’d love to hear a radio show like car talk except focused on computers instead of cars? Hmm. Possibly.

Rest In Peace, Tinkerbell.

3. Raymond writes:

Drew, if there were a radio show about computers, probably 95% of the calls would end, “I don’t know, I’d have to be at your computer to debug it further, sorry.”

NMI usually means flakey memory, but yeah given the other electronic trauma Tinkerbell has gone through, it could be a motherboard problem too. All signs point to daisy-pushing…

4. shashi writes:

it is also called fatal error.it comes from any specific reason like dump memory going to be failed or for wrong cable fault etc.it means that in ur system memory has configured any fatal error.

5. Spencer writes:

my computer is doing that 2. i am looking at a laptop soon. can somone explain to me what nmi, and parity error means? P.S. Drew, you are not the only one who would like a computer talk show
    P.s.s change her name to stinkerbell

6. the_Russian writes:

Ya I just bought and put together a brand new build and its doing the same thing but only once I start a game up like most wanted and empire earth. I play underground 2, and age of empires and it has no prob. I’ve tried reinstalling the driver 4rm the CD and a latest downloaded driver 4 the video card many times but it still does it. I’m trying 2 figure it out still. If anyone could help that b gr8.

Specs: Asus P5N-D, Intel core 2 quad q6600, Kingston hyperX pc2 6400 4gb, EVGA e-GeForce 9600 GSO dual slot 384mb

7. poochner writes:

The last time I had a prob like that, it was some marginal memory that only got touched when I ran a big memory hog type of game. If you can find one, get a real memory stress test prog. Kingston’s usually pretty good, but you may not have exactly what you need as far as timing or some other tweaky problem.

Does this error have a special name?
    Blue Screen Of Death (Part 1)