Lych gate

tags:

Many English churches  have a Lych gate at the entrance to the graveyard.   I have not yet seen a Lych gate in the USA.   The brief description of the gate I’ve found repeated across the web is:

a roofed gate to a churchyard, formerly used as a temporary shelter for the bier during funerals (noun)

The corpse waits in the Lych (Corpse) gate for the priest to come to it and start the ceremony.   I have not found any online  references to the ‘folk’ belief I somehow gathered as a child.   My folk belief is that placing the corpse down in the lych gate somehow stopped evil (pagan?) spirits riding the body into the concecrated grounds of the churchyard.

St. Mary the Virgin, Portbury’s churchyard Lych Gate, dustbin and daffodils:

Lych gate

6 bits of lovely banter on “Lych gate”

1. Mary-Alice writes:

Wendy–I am so please to find you post on a Lych-Gate! I live in Florida (America) and have started doing research on these wonderful little fascinating things! I grew up on the coast of Maine attending St. Mary the Virgin Church which had a Lych-Gate, only we didn’t know it at the time! Know, here in FL, the local Anglican Church has an Historical Lych-Gate as well. I am now on a mission to find all the Lych-Gates in the United States. So far I have found around 18. Most of them are associated with Episcopal or Anglican Churches or Cemeteries, however, I am finding they might be just at the entrance of a protestant cemetery, in a park or in a garden of an Historical House. The oldest I have found so far appears to be around 1890, however there is no proof of the date. For the most part they seem to be in the eastern part of the country. I will be in England in June and will be looking at as many Lych-Gates as I can while I am there. Take care. ~Mary-Alice

Kathy Voorhees writes

Ladies, I realize this is a very old post, but I saw a Lych Gate yesterday in Fruitland Park, Florida, USA . It was at the Holy Trinity Episcopal church. Mary Alice, I am curious as to the other one in Florida. Do you know what city it is in? I read there are only two in FL.

Mary-Alice Wildasin writes

Hi Kathy~ Fruitland Park is just around the corner from me. I was a part of the Colonial Dames 17th C. group that recognized the Lych Hate a few years ago.

The other Lych gate in Florida is called “Lichgate on High Street” and I believe (all my research is packed away right now…) in Tallahasee. I have not yet been there.

Have you been to other Lych Hates Kathy?

Kathy Voorhees writes

Thank you Mary-Alice. Fruitland Park is actually close to me also. I live in The Village of Pine Hills. I have never seen another Lych-Gate that I know of, but could have seen one, just not realized the purpose. I do visit cemeteries for a website called Find A Grave. I had never even heard the term before. I learned quite a bit by visiting the Holy Trinity Episcopal Church last week. Happy Lych-Gate hunting to you Mary Alice.

Mary-Alice, an inspiring comment! I’ve sent an email to you, and will be happy to help you plan your lych gate hunting this summer. W x

3. Kathy Voorhees writes:

Hello. I would love to attach a photo of a Lych-Gate I found at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Fruitland Park, Florida, USA.