Miah’s Garden of Gulab

tags: , , , , , ,

Bangladeshi restaurant in Earley, Reading.

Dressed in white shirts and black neatly ironed trousers the Garden of Gulab staff welcomed me into their restaurant and were able to find a table for one in the crowded restaurant.   The customers looked and sounded pale skinned English,   the staff looked and sounded more Asian.

My choice was a Balti.   I love Balti’s,   ever since I started eating them in the mid 1980s in a local Birmingham Sparkbrook restaurant on Ladypool Road.   The  Ladypool road  restaurant I used had no flatware and the staff would treat you as if you were an irritant if you had the afrontery to insult their food by asking for flatware.   I learned to eat my food properly,   with my fingers.

It’s not easy.

In the Garden of Gulab I ate my meal with my fingers leaving the impressive, superfluous,  traditional English flatware untouched.   In Birmingham I  was given a thick soft  damp heated flanel to clean my hands after the meal.    In the Garden of Gulab I was given an individually  plastic-wrapped disposable wet-paper-wipe.   Functionally sufficient yet lacking the touch of quality that I had learned to enjoy.   The food was excellent if  disappointingly mild compared to my Birminghan experiences.   The balti arrived in an ordinary  metal dish,   not  the sizzling  hot Balti bowl that it had been cooked in.

Mumzie doesn’t like Indian food,   I think she’d thoroughly enjoy this place and the food.

The waiter bought a complimentary small brandy to my table explaining it was because  I had finished my main meal quickly.

Excellent English-i-fied version of an Indian restaurant and charming staff.

Miah’s Garden of Gulab

6 bits of lovely banter on “Miah’s Garden of Gulab”

So where can I get the wall lights?

Hello Wendy, many apologies, but I’ve tagged you . . . well you did say that you like lists!
    Pop over to mine to pick up the rules!
    Sxx

3. stephen king writes:

eating Balti’s with ones fingers souinds fun.
    however how would I get on with my Chicken rogan josh. all that runny sauce?

PS The Everest also gives complementary sprits to chosen customers. – enjoy!

4. Kevin writes:

I’m not good with curries for some reason (chilis, no problem; curry is a struggle).
    Nevertheless I did enjoy that place in Birmingham, back when Balti was unknown.
    As a Mancunian I feel slightly guilty that I much prefer the curry houses in Bradford for the experience.

5. paul g writes:

Looked up the review of curry houses in Ladypool Road – was not ressured by use of phrase “within spitting distance” of each other. (Nor by the anti-spam word being “dribble”, I might add).

6. Kevin writes:

In 1988, when I was last there, ‘within spitting distance’ was a pretty accurate description of the area.