have you got the time?

tags: , ,

stranger on the street:   have you got the time?

This is not a question I was asked in the US.   This question has been put to me on several occasions when walking from bus stops to appointments in the UK.

The question  always makes me think twice before replying.   Am I being asked for the current time or does the asker suspect that I may be a professional  street walker?

have you got the time?

11 bits of lovely banter on “have you got the time?”

1. mrspouncer writes:

No, Wendums, they think you are a professional time teller. This is a new job, introduced recently by a government department, in order to get the unemployment figures down. Recruitment only happens immediately after the clocks go back (ie last weekend) because rigorous research has proved that this is when the lumpen proletariat get most confused about the time. Is it an hour earlier, or later? Has the Town Hall clock been changed, or not? Why is it so dark? What time does John Lewis close on a Wednesday? Is my car park ticket about to run out? Did I leave my watch in the bathroom, or by the kitchen sink? It is nice work if you can get it, and the general public obviously think you are cut out for the task. But why? Are you standing around outside Jackson Freres ostentatiously looking at your oversized watch? Possibly exclaiming “Good heavens! Is that the time?!” If so, you only have yourself to blame. (You’re not wheeling a huge clock around with you, are you, Wendy? Just wondered.)

2. Kevin writes:

And in the new commercial environment, you have to provide an answer à la Disney.

. . . this is the time I get most confused . . . Is X Factor on yet?

4. stephen king writes:

‘Who knows where the time goes?’

5. :: Wendy :: writes:

Mrs P. & Kevin, indeed, I am qualified, I can read analogue and digital clocks in both American and English with Micky Mouse gloves or not.
    Scarlet & Stephen, I suspect that the time goes foward and the X factor is always on somewhere…

6. Kevin writes:

“the X factor is always on somewhere…”
    My God. I’ve died and gone to Hell.

7. Kevin writes:

Sorry, Wendy. I just had to comment becauseI didn’t want to waste the anti-spam word “bollocks”

8. zac writes:

One could argue that the time goes backwards since the time that
    once was ahead of us is now behind us. Or perhaps it stays still;
    don’t you sometimes think the platform is moving past the train?

9. stephen king writes:

Aging ‘Fairport’ follower knows where the time goes.
    Spam work ‘Kate Bush’ Who knows where she is?

10. Nicky writes:

I thought time was 3 dimensional and somewhat warped (hence start trek warp speed)

11. zac writes:

Nicky – I thought time was the fourth dimension?
    It’s all too timey-wimey for my poor little head.

Stephen – perhaps Kate is busy recording a duet with Sandy?
    Though probably not.