Oh burgger

tags: , ,

I accidentally deleted my blog database when trying to back it up.

How silly is software that enables that accident?

CRAPPY CRAPPY CRAPPY SOFTWARE

My last back-up was Dec 17th.   All your lovely comments and my fabulous thoughts between now and then have just become a figment of our imaginative memories…

6 bits of lovely banter on “Oh burgger”

I might have it all in google reader?
    But not the comments.

2. :: Wendy :: writes:

I’ve been given the posts from some-ones google reader, and I’ve got the comments from my google reader. I don’t yet know if I can load-them in one-off event without spamming your readers which I will try first. If not, they will be drip-feed re-appearing over the next 2 weeks with few, if any new posts, so I recommend turning off your readers for this blog for a couple of weeks

3. Madame Defarge writes:

My anti-spam word was ‘bottom’, which seems to sum it up rather well. Good luck with retrieving everything.

4. Paul G. writes:

“Oh burgger” seems something of a mild expression for what has just happened. I can supply many more of my preferred expressions if you need something stronger…

5. :: Wendy :: writes:

There was much frowning and a hint of tears before I remembered that I do back-up.

Within 24hrs my web service provider replied to my help request (email). They can restore all sorts of stuff including my database. It would take 7 days and cost $150.

Out of sheer cussedness I’m not going to pay for rectifyig a problem that their poor quality software caused, they should not get rewarded for providing substandard software.

6. :: Wendy :: writes:

I’ve finnished copy-pasting posts that people sent me. While I have kept copies of the content of all your comments I am not going to manually try and recreate them (over 200).

Thanks to people who have recreated the own comments, much appreciated 🙂

WordPress includes a schedule back-up – in the future I will be using this on a weekly basis.