inappropriate

tags: , , ,

In 1984 I fell in luuurrrrrrve,   surruptiticously,   with such stealth that I didn’t notice.   For the first six months   I couldn’t understand a word he said with his northern near-Geordie  brogue.   The oscillations of his intonation, arms, facial expressions and dangly earings together told fascianting stories without the need for the precision, or ambiguity, of actual words.   We relied on songs and dancing  to communicate.  During our early courtship he would wrap-up his DJ shifts by  playing this song  for us

Lloyd Cole and the Commotions sang Perfect Skin

inappropriate

6 bits of lovely banter on “inappropriate”

1. zac writes:

Ah, Lloydy Lloydy Lloydy, so quietly acute and unassumingly articulate. With cheekbones like
    geometry and eyes like sin, sexually enlightened by Cosmipolitan.

Strikes me the moral of this post must be there never has been one.

2. Tim writes:

Cracking song………albeit these days I have a tad too much of the imperfect skin measured in several belt holes from the 1984 benchmark, a chin that has its own resonance frequency and a mindset that stretch fit is a good thing.

3. Nicky writes:

a girl needs a gun these days on account of all the rattlesnakes

4. Rob writes:

Around 1984 I was besotted with someone who declared that she was sexually
    enlightened by Cosmopolitan, just like Louise. A couple of months ago
    for no discernible reasons I dreamed about meeting her in a lift. Woke
    up both thrilled and confused, not being able to establish my feelings
    about it or whether she had recognized me in the dream, me in my dotage
    and she remained, as one does, still 20. I felt like someone out of a
    Gabriel Garcia Marquez book.
    Lloyd Cole’s recent stripped down stuff is very good indeed. On the
    subject of aging musicians, I have got back in touch with Keith Farquhar
    (thanks)over Facebook. I’ll let you know what he’s up to.

5. alan writes:

Ah. We are a similar age. Yes, Lloyd Cole and his bittersweet lyrics. I see you like EBTG as well. Sitting here in a haze of 80’s reverie (ripped 501’s, Docs, huge amounts of very badly chosen haircuts but musical taste by that time was spot on). Did you do the docs and skirts thing like a lot of girls then?

There’s a lovely song by a great band from here (Glasgow) called Camera Obscura which is a bit of an answer to a Lloyd Cole song – it’s called “Lloyd, are you ready to be heartbroken?” and I think I can link to it.

6. alan writes:

Doh! No I can’t but you can get it here (if wordpress allows me to put in links)