tactics of destruction

tags: , ,

Wasp nestThe wasp nest in the Viburnum Tinus. A quick poll of my facebook contacts produced the unanimous decision to DESTROY, DELETE, DEVASTATE the nest.  My friends don’t care for wasps.

The nest is quite quiet at the moment I can only ever see one or two wasps working on building the structure and one or two wasps coming and going, pressumably feeding the lava inside.  It’s my first wasp nest, so with no real comparator it looks quite big to me, about 10 inched tall and 7 inches wide.  Branches of the viburnum go through the nest. I suspect that destroyinh the nest will involve destroying part of the plant.

Friends varied in their favoured  tactics of destruction.  Suggestions included:

• gas
  • fire
  • Council pest control services

6 bits of lovely banter on “tactics of destruction”

Hmmm… looks like an old nest that has been extended – did they get planning permission?
    Scary though wasps are – that’s one impressive structure.

2. Daniel writes:

Let them stay there, in four mouths (Autumn) they will go away.

Wasps don’t attack people who don’t bother them.

3. Happy Frog and I writes:

I do not care much for wasps, but I love the picture. It is fascinating to look at the wasp nest, I’ve not seen one before. If you do try and tackle it I would definitely get the council involved. Is it in a place that might endanger your cats when they on occasion enter into the garden?

to get into or out of the wendy house you must walk with your face within 5ft of the nest. It’s not a problem at the moment because the youngsters aren’t out and about yet.
    Reading borough council don’t provide the service.

5. Happy Frog and I writes:

I didn’t realise the council couldn’t help. Maybe these people can? http://www.rapid-pest-control.co.uk/Wasps+and+Hornets+Newbury+Berkshire

Thanks Happy Frog’s friend. When the council wrote to me telling me they couldn’t help, they didnt just say ‘tough shite’ they gave advice too.
    Fab.
    they suggested I start at http://www.bpca.org.uk/home