dumper truck

tags: , , , ,

Goodbye Natwest banking

Dumped

Hello Co-operative Banking

suggesting I 'Dump' my current bank

The subtle differences in the way the companies are can be seen in the promotional designs for their current campaigns. The Natwest prmotion is neat and tidy with photographs of brochures, big old buildings and staff wearing a uniform and name tag. By contrast the Co-op promotion includes an imitation of hand-written text corrections, a childs plastic toy, the colloquial word ‘dump’, and anthropomophises the Bank by refering to it as ‘someone’.

Moving from being treated as a sales opportunity to being recognised as a person feels really good.  The Natwest customer charter, to become the most helpful bank is definitiely an admirable goal that shows they are aware of one of their key shortcomings. They have a long way to go, helpfulness is not something I’d noticed in their recent everyday service. By contrast, the staff at the Co-op actually

• listened to me
  • asked me sensible questions that I could understand
  • made fun little observations that made me smile and demonstrated the lack of corporate dehumanising of their staff, and
  • provided understandable advice.

YAY

While in the Reading Co-op branch I overheard someone comment on the recruitment poster in the branch suggesting that people dump their old bank :

‘The coop is my old bank – what should I do?

12 bits of lovely banter on “dumper truck”

1. Happy Frog and I writes:

Glad you are getting on well with the co-op, I think they are great if you want to be treated like a human being.

I may have spoken too soon about having left Natwest. One of the transfers I made to pay of my credit card left my current account but hasn’t arrived in my credit card account 5 working days later. After 10 minutes on the phone they said the missing payments team are not available until tomorrow so could I call back.
    Then they tried to sell me stuff!

3. Madame Defarge writes:

When I married, and stayed with RBS, but wanted to change my name, they thought that I was a completely different person, refused to give me a credit card and refused to believe that I had been with them for 18 years. We moved to Smile immediately.

Amnesia in a bank is defintiely not a good sign. Well done Mme D!

Poochner writes

I’ve never gotten my head around why the custom of women changing their names when they marry remains. It causes a lot of trouble, such as you’ve seen. Women are no longer chattel. Women can own property in their own name, and in the places I know of don’t need to specifically state marital status in major business transactions (except for credit checks, where men do as well). At least a few places in the US have recognized that allowing the “free name change” for women on a marriage license is unequal and have added a spot for the husband’s new name as well.

4. Happy Frog and I writes:

Oh no! That’s no good. I can feel a strongly worded letter to the Co-0p coming on. I have quite a few to write myself, though not to banks at the moment.

my unclear writing – it was Natwest that appear to have lost my money and are not staffed to deal with it at the weekend. Co-op still rock. I transfered money from Natwest current account to Natwest Credit card to pay it off ready to close it – the money hasn’t arrived. Natwest have lost it – which means my relationship with them isn’t over… ..because I’ve got to get it back from them

5. Happy Frog and I writes:

Hooray! (About the co-op still rocking!)

I have been with the Co-op since 1983. We’ve only had one major run in. They have sold me a few things, by stealth, that I really don’t need – so keep an eye out for that.

thanks for the tip – I’ll keep an eye out. They didnt manager to get me on the privilege accounts in the above offer – they had no value to me above the basic

two weeks later I’ve just recieved the final statements on my current and savings accounts:

Accounts Closed

just closed the credit account using a phone call. They actually had the insight to ask me why I was closing the account. The first lady appeared to listen as I explained, then she interrupted to tell me she was forwarding me to the account closure team – ie – she didnt actually care. The first thing the lady on the account closure team did was ask me why I wanted to close the account – but I’d just told them. So I said I was happy for them to call me back and ask me but since I was paying for this phone call it was inappropriate to get me to repeat my reasons at my expense. She then said ‘are you trying to close your account?’ and I explained that I AM closing my account and it is getting rather trying, so could we just do it. Finally done, and they didnt take me up on my offer to call me back to find out why. I’m so gald its all done now.