let the squabbling begin

tags: , , ,

Thunderbird - not playing

Oh! Looks like Mozilla Thunderbird is having a sulk. She’s ignoring me and legitimising the offense by using psuedo-medical jargon – ‘not responding’ to treatment by wendy. Less than 24hrs after putting her in the cupboard.  TUSH!

After reading this message I went in search of a way to  ‘close the exsiting Thunderbird process’ . I’m not used to closing a process and a quick look in the Windows 7 starter task manager confirmed my suspicion that this was pretty scary.  Instead, I decided on the more familiar, easier, way to close something. I closed the only program I knew that I was using at the same time. I closed IE8. Then tried to start Thunderbird.  That worked. That sorted the problem.

Close IE to fix Thunderbird. Confusing. Two programs that just aren’t playing nicely together, squabbling and leaving me to be doctor and arbitrater. Sigh.

let the squabbling begin

10 bits of lovely banter on “let the squabbling begin”

1. ExpatEgghead writes:

I’m sorry. I feel guilty now

ExpatEgghead, you are guilty of recommending a good client that does all I need to do and provides me with the fun of exploring a new interface. Keep making suggestions 🙂

2. Happy Frog and I writes:

If in doubt it is probably IE that is going to be causing the problem in my experience, not anything else. I like the idea of your software squabbling. Sounds positively poetic!

I only went and got a netbook to. I’ll show you on Saturday. I’m such a follower!

🙂 Looking forward to Saturday, a new netbook? Sounds fun, I’m enjoying mine, really I am…

3. Kevin writes:

The nice thing about Win7 is that the processes listed in Task Manager are – finally! – labelled so’s you can tell what process the file’s related to. There’s a bit of trial and error but if the worst comes to the very, very worst a reboot fixes it.

Kevin boldly goes into the processes of the task manager….excellent pluckiness

4. Adrian Edmonds writes:

Of course, you could migrate to Firefox as Firefox and Thunderbird go together like fresh oysters and Guinness.

I’m toying with the idea…

Adrian Edmonds writes

Mind you, I run Chrome these days on both Ubuntu and Windows. A very pleasing experience akin to being softly massaged with aromatic oils. IE always struck me as similar to being worked over by a beefy Russian lady weightlifter with horse liniment.

Where is Lady Penelope when you need her…