IE, Firefox or Chrome

tags: , , ,

I have no idea what the worldwide statistics are for the actual use of different browsers. I do know what browsers are used by the people (IP addresses) who open Wendy House pages because Google Analytics has snooped on them and told me! (see below)

Unsurprisingly IE in all its versions is the most common browser. Obviously. Almost half these visits are made by me in the cupboard. If we remove the numbber of visits made by myself we are left with Firefox being the browser of choice for my visitors. ‘Choice’ because someone choose to install it on the computer and open it to visit the wendy house.

I understand that some people have more than one browser on their computer. For a gal like me this is potentially confusing. Where possible I like to keep  things simple; one credit card, one set of parents, one kitchen, one bathroom, one type of tea bag, one car. This simplicity reduces the everyday cognitive load of decision making. I’ve removed the need to make many daily decisions. Obviously there are some details that are significant and require reqgular decision making resources such as – which cheese? which hat? Which password?

Currently I’m toying with ‘which browser’. I am not an ‘early adopter’ of new technologies. I like to use things which lots of other people have used and found OK. Firefox is looking like the browser for me because it’s open-source, should play well with Thunderbird and lots of people that read the wendy house use it already, pressumably because it works well for them.

Browsers visiting the Wendy House

IE, Firefox or Chrome

10 bits of lovely banter on “IE, Firefox or Chrome”

1. Kevin writes:

Google Chrome nearly all the time – quicker and cleaner than either IE or Firefox. There’s a ton of add-ons if you want to be bothered with them, which I generally don’t.

I have IE as my back-up browser as it’s the only one that will run work’s content management system and I also find that Citrix virtual desktops run a load better on it. In both cases I’d run the 64-bit version (it makes a big difference) unless there’s a flash application you need to run (‘cos Flash doesn’t run in 64-bit mode).

IE did so many mean things to me – occasionally freezing my computer – that I switched to Firefox, and I’ve never had the freezing problem since. Firefox is alledgedly more secure as well.

3. Stefan writes:

I actually have IE, Firefox, Chrome and Opera installed, because I need to check my website to make sure it’s supported in all browser. That’s why some of us have more than one. My favorites are FF and Opera, but for some sites I have to use IE.

Oh, and as a by-the-way: Google Analytics only reports browsers that have javascript enabled, so in your logs you miss out on those that either have javascript disabled or don’t run javascript at all. Last ones are the ones like GoogleBot and other crawlers that index your site for search engines. So if you don’t want to show up in your own logs: disable javascript before you visit your own site. Google Analytics won’t know you’ve been there (which is why I stopped using it, to be honest – it also doesn’t show my RSS feed or the downloading of other documents like PDF’s for example).

ooOOOOooo Stefan, you sound like you kinow what you are talking about in you ‘by the way’.

Should the wendy house get it’;s own Bot, or crawler? The WendyBot! Can Javascript be replaced by DarjeelingManuscript. I’d want one of those…..

4. JamesNT writes:

IE all the way. I almost dumped IE back in the version 6.0 days (the version that originally came with XP), but when version 7 came out I gave it a second chance. Version 8 is great and I can’t wait for version 9 since it will render graphics better/faster with its built in GPU support, and I like the way IE will give me better control of addons (a major problem with previous versions).

JamesNT

Hi James, that all sounds very technical and knowledgeable. I’ve got IE8 and Firefox now, I’m afraid I make my decisions more on gut feeling than common sense, so I’m using firefox – so far all good except for the CASCADING menu for the Favourites YUCK!

Stefan writes

If you don’t want to use the Favorites/Bookmarks as a menu in Firefox: Press , and the bookmarks/favorites show up in the sidebar instead. Might be easier?

Stefan writes

Oops… looks like the pointy brackets are interpreted as HTML … so it should have been CTRL-B after the word Press 🙂

5. JamesNT writes:

Wendy,

Of course you should go with your gut. I wholeheartidly agree. When it’s all said and done and the sun has set for the day, what matters is what makes you more productive in your web searching endeavors – and more comfortable. While I do encourage you to take IE9 for a spin when it comes out, I make that encouragement for the pure sake of making sure you do not fall into a rut and never try anything new again – that you continue your efforts of thinking outside the box which is what you are most famous for in my opinion.

In fact, I think where Wendy is concerned, we can all fairly say there never was a box.

JamesNT

JamesNT, I will definitely try IE9, I’m guessing Windows will automatically update IE8 for me. I leave the boxes for the cats – they love um

I like that you technical specialists (Stefan, JamesNT, Raymond etc) take a moment to drop by and give me some insights, its great, I find out all sorts of quirky things that I might be able to use in a pub quiz or in the cupboard.