bleeding radiators

tags: , ,

with a bleed screw and radiator key.

gas-heated hot water radiates from this little beautyThis is something that I do every year. It happened this week – bleed my radiators. Many of my US friends will not have heard of this charming old country annual tradition. Most houses I visited in the US were relatively new and had hot-air circulation systems providing the heating, not radiators.

6 bits of lovely banter on “bleeding radiators”

Bleeding radiators! Apologies for my childishness, but this phrase always makes me snigger.

I have the same problem with all sorts of screws 🙂

2. sarah writes:

We had to ask the plumber how to do it one time when he was out fixing something else. He was amused that two educated adults didn’t have the first clue how it was done. We explained that we’d never lived anywhere with radiators and he kindly showed us. Since that was our second winter in the house there was a good deal of air in the radiators upstairs and it was much more toasty after it had been done.

3. Bux writes:

Oh dang it, Scarlet beat me to the ‘bleeding radiators’ line. Wendy, you just reminded me that mine have yet to be done. I’ll be off with me to hunt down the key!

Bx

careful with those bleeding screws, they can be quite hot and slippy

5. Applestrudel writes:

Sadly, I’ve never had the opportunity of bleeding my radiators but the phrase always makes me cringe. Being a Kleeneze Rep. I sell many radioator bleeders, although have never asked customers whether they work…