virgin member

tags: , , , , ,

My overdue trip to join Reading library. Overdue will not turn into a relationship theme

Palmers Park library Membership packI walked up to the desk opposite the door with the large sign saying membership. A young lady watched me as I picked up a leaflet describing how to join. easy, fill in this form provide evidence of address (Driving license) and normal signature (Debit card). As I reached for a pen from the pot on the far side of the desk the young lady walked over.  She picked and passed me a pen as she sat down good, I get to sit down now

wendy: can I take a photograph of that sign?

staff: Oh! No-one’s ever asked that before…Um…if there are no people in the picture

Excellent, the Saturday staff feel able to make decisions on unusual requests. The girl sweetly listened to me tell her about Kevin’s blog as I completed the form. Then she went into coorporation style ‘rote-retell’ mode as she desciribed the contents of the new member’s pack before handing it to me.

• 2 hours of free internet access a day
  • The addresses and opening times of all the branches, including one in Palmers park that opens ’till 7pm 2 nights midweek
  • A free CD/DVD loan because of my new membership
  • charge-rates
  • Frequently Asking Questions
  • Special services (alas all the ‘coffee mornings’ are on weekdays, when I can’t join in)
  • Adult services (adult book groups. OH! who’d have guessed?! One group meets in the ‘Back of Beyond‘)
  • Children services (they have Pyjamma evenings in the library – wish I was a real child!)
  • Toy library

After this preliminary dance I was let-loose on the stock. …..ooOOOOooooo…. I left with an unabridged Audio book; Ian McEwan’s ‘On chesil beach’ read by the author.  It may not smell of book, but the commute to work this week will be a joy….

Goodies, lovely goodies…

virgin member

7 bits of lovely banter on “virgin member”

1. Pamela Wiggins writes:

Wow, it would be great if we could hold our book club in a pub! I think that might be frowned upon in the old south, USA. Welcome to the library world from a US librarian.

Poochner writes

I often think that libraries are frowned upon here in the south. Our local libraries have changed their hours such that they’re not open on the weekends at all, and close at 2pm on Fridays. Some days they open at noon, some at 10am. It’s depressing.

Pamela Wiggins writes

yes, it is sad. But I would not say changed their hours, I think I would say their hours were cut. Ours were shortened by about 14 hours a week last year and yet we are happy they didn’t close us altogether. And yet we are busier than ever!

2. Happy Frog and I writes:

That sounds like time well spent. I hope you are enjoying the audio book. A book club at Bob’s? Are you going to check it out?

3. Madame Defarge writes:

I now feel guilty about not joining our local library, even if I’m never home during the week. I’d love a pyjama book evening.

I went into the Palmer’s park branch at 6.30pm today. Just me and 2 staff there. Friendly staff, we chatted and I browsed books in the brightly lit, warm, room. It was a real luxury. Hopefully we’ll get to keep the resource.

5. Kevin writes:

We’ve got two reading clubs based in pubs at the moment. The way things are heading, I could have seen us having libraries in pubs if so many of them weren’t being boarded up.