windows 95 start up theme

tags: , , , ,

According to wikipedia Brian Eno said of this piece

The idea came up at the time when I was completely bereft of ideas. I’d been working on my own music for a while and was quite lost, actually. And I really appreciated someone coming along and saying, “Here’s a specific problem — solve it.”

The thing from the agency said, “We want a piece of music that is inspiring, universal, blah- blah, da-da-da, optimistic, futuristic, sentimental, emotional,” this whole list of adjectives, and then at the bottom it said “and it must be 31/4 seconds long.”

I thought this was so funny and an amazing thought to actually try to make a little piece of music. It’s like making a tiny little jewel.

In fact, I made 84 pieces. I got completely into this world of tiny, tiny little pieces of music. I was so sensitive to microseconds at the end of this that it really broke a logjam in my own work. Then when I’d finished that and I went back to working with pieces that were like three minutes long, it seemed like oceans of time.

Brian Eno’s 3 1/4 sec piece for Windows 95

windows 95 start up theme
1 vote rating 5

6 bits of lovely banter on “windows 95 start up theme”

1. Will Watts writes:

Ah… didn’t know that – what a sweet little factlet.

Although I will now consider Eno’s effort with a less jaundiced eye than before, it is still not my favourite micro-ditty. My heart still belongs to the original Channel 4 fanfare, which makes me think of Five Go Mad in Dorset, and other things from a young world full of hope. Altogether now: Dee, dee, da-dum.

Channel 4 going mad in public, quite so. I wish one of these talented musician types would redesign the sound that those zebra crossings make – something a little more pleasant. It sounds as though Mr. Eno has a few to spare that he might consider donating…

2. Will Watts writes:

What the beep-beep-beep noise that HM Government’s Ministry of Transport has shrewdly timed to halt abruptly when a typical little old lady is two thirds of the way across a busy and scary A-road?

I am not confident it brooks improvement…

crossing in Charlotte NC gave a countdown as you crossed the road – it felt like ‘time to collission’ it made me run! Those grannies just need a good waltzing….

3. Will Watts writes:

🙂 Excellent – I can see that would certainly help one cultivate a sense of urgency.

4. Brian writes:

Wow, what an amazing coincidence! I was just thinking about this recently!