One Plucking Thing After Another

tags: , , , , ,

The People’s Republic of South Yorkshire brings us 8 players of- Bass, Barritone, Tenor, Soprano and Fridge Magnet Ukeleles. Fresh from New York’s Carniegie Hall with only hand luggage, the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain played the New Theatre Oxford to the delight of a mature audience and their teenage offspring. Witty banter inbetween singing, whistling, dancing all accompanied by Ukulele playing.  Playing songs from one musical genre in another style, for example, Kate Bush’s Wuthering Heights re-interpretted in the genre of Swing bands

Recommended for anyone with a sense of humour, love of diverse musical genres or 80’s music, and Yorkshire people.

4 smiles: Ratings explained

The set included:

• Hawkwind’s Silver Machine as an ode to commuters
  • David Bowie’s Life on Mars delivered with duet lyrics from other songs. One person singing I did it my way and so on while the lead vocalist sang the main lyric. It was fascinating, creative and worked extremely well.
  • Ian Dury and the Blockheads Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll as a polite tea party
  • Kate Bush’s Wuthering Heights as a Swing band
  • Wheatus’s Teenage Dirtbag” as a polite love song
  • Sex Pistols Anarchy in the UK as a group campire singalong
  • Recognisable classical stuff that I am sadly ill-equipped to name
One Plucking Thing After Another

6 bits of lovely banter on “One Plucking Thing After Another”

I think I would have enjoyed this. I like messing about like this on my saxophone – I do a swing version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. Actually I do a swing version of most things…

2. Brian writes:

Someone showed me a video of them a while back. I’m glad to learn who they are and have a link to their website. Thanks! Maybe they’ll come my way again soon (i.e., New York), or maybe I’ll come their way.

their tour dates have impressive diversity – from Fowey village in Cornwall to the Sydney opera house, no venue to big, nor too small…

3. Miffy writes:

You do know they’re playing Reading in June, don’t you? We can’t wait!

Greetings Miffy, Reading in June! Must go again they were THAT Cheeky. PS I really like your choice of blog theme. W x

Miffy writes

You’ll need to get a move on, then; when we booked a couple of weeks ago, the only places we could get were way way towards the back! 🙁

I’m hoping they’ll play their version of ‘Je t’aime,’ 😀

M

p.s. Thanks, WordPress have got some brilliant themes.