recycling confidentiality

tags: , , , ,

In my valiant steps to curb my consumerism, mend my waywardness, I partake of old-fashioned passtimes such as darning socks and spurious knitwear. Mumsie taught me how to darn. Darning wasn’t a syllabus item on the compulsory (for females) Home Economics course provided by Chipping Sodbury Comprehensive school. A lot of useful home economics were omitted from my Home Economics education. It wasn’t comprehensive by any stretch of the imagination.

Recently I’ve added ‘Brickette’ making to my many economic home skills. Here’s the recipe

1. Borrow a brickette maker (I failed at this first step – I bought one)
  2. Use a large (not plastic) bag to collect the shreddings from the confidential document shredder at work.
  3. Empty the shreddings into a large waterpoof container (Bucket!)
  4. fill the bucket with wate
  5. Leave the shreddings to soak for 3 days
  6. Scoop the soggy shredded paper from the bucket into the bricket maker and squish into a brickette
  7. Leave the soggy brickette in the sun tor dry-out. I’ve placed my first brick in my log-store

Three days to make one brick. I only have one bucket. I wonder how many bricks I’ll be able to make this summer? I wonder how well they’ll work as fuel on the woodburner. Apparantly it is possible to make brickettes from tea bags…

soaking shredded confidential papers Brickette squished from soaked paper

recycling confidentiality

11 bits of lovely banter on “recycling confidentiality”

1. Lucien Modo writes:

If you are a vegetarian, I see no reason why you couldn’t make bricks out of your own faeces. In North Africa they burn camel dung… and in Siberia they burn Yak dung.

Though you might need to get in some scented candles I’m thinking.

2. Lucien Modo writes:

… You could cook on top of your ‘log’ burner and start the whole process over again… invite friends around for brick making parties… it really is the ultimate in recycling.

3. baz writes:

lol @ “[removed by Wendy – rule 7]” being the security word I had to type to post this comment! (second attempt at posting a reply and the security word is now “[rule 7 naughtiness again]”

I really love the idea of these paper bricks, before I read your post I saw the pictures and imagined you to be making some kind of structure with them, or using them as noise insulation or something.. I even had visions of the Grand Designs TV show and Kevin Mccloud himself visiting you to discuss your eco-home.. then I read the post and realised that paper bricks are a silly idea for construction as they are highly flamible and not waterproof! (ho hum… Kevin has left the building)

Right, so I did love the idea of these bricks, but I’m curious, don’t they burn very fast emit little heat? I recieve a lot of junk mail, maybe I should invest in a coal burner and make these bricks..

4. baz writes:

ewwww @ putting your own faeces into the brick maker, I feel physically sick just thinking about that

Oh! lots of helpful ideas, cat-poop could cease to be a garden problem and become a heat-source… …I just need to get over what Baz so aptly describes as the “EWWW” factor…..

6. ExpatEgghead writes:

Curious minds want to know what you plan for these brickettes. Are brickettes the feminine form of bricks? I note that there are only actors these days and I assume actresses have been taken away for a well deserved rest. At least, that’s what reading the Guardian and the NYT leads me to believe. Anyway, are there any male brickettes?
    My Russian boss assures me that it is possible to make anything out of tea bags but some of the things he described have put me back on coffee.

7. Lucien Modo writes:

No, no, no… cats are carnivores. Digested meat faeces will only smolder and give off a lot of smoke… and depending on the health of the cat there might even be a residual grease issue.

8. Lucien Modo writes:

I think that maybe I should apologize for the direction this posting has taken…

Baz – Ive burnt brickettes made out of newspaper, they burned slowly and at a high temperature, very good firestarters

Lucien – So educational, Pub quiz – here I come!

Expat – Brickettes are what the instructions on the brickette maker call them. I hadn’t thougnt about the potentially omnious generisation of the name, or that actresses had been reclassified as an invisible sub-set of Actors. EW!
    The Brickettes will be burnt on my woodburning stove with the boor closed to make sure the fumes dont cause headaches or cancer

10. ExpatEgghead writes:

I want to hear more about your ‘boor’.

a boor is like a door but it opens the opposite way. Ideal for left-handers like myself 😉