girl conformance grooming

tags:

Cosmopolitan is helping meSometimes I wonder what life would be like if I spent time putting on eye-make-up, plucking my eyebrows, carefully choosing clothes to emphasize my natural curves, mastering walking in stiff shoes with high heals, dying my hair, applying creams to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and increase the firmness of my breasts.

Tailoring myself with the myriad of girl-conformance grooming accessories would probably take longer than the average commute even after I’d refined the required skills.

The thought drifts away like steam through a bathroom window while a large towel wipes water from my skin soon covered by soft cashmere. Thankful that I don’t need the social proof, approval, conformance provides though I’m possibly a little lonely.

7 bits of lovely banter on “girl conformance grooming”

1. Lucien Modo writes:

Better to be lonely on your own than in a crowd… I always think.

2. Lucien Modo writes:

I usually avoid quotes, they are so trite… however I like these two.

I hope you have lost your good looks, for while they last any fool can adore you, and the adoration of fools is bad for the soul. No, give me a ruined complexion and a lost figure and sixteen chins on a farmyard of Crow’s feet and an obvious wig. Then you shall see me coming out strong. ~George Bernard Shaw, to Mrs. Patrick Campbell

Beauty isn’t worth thinking about; what’s important is your mind. You don’t want a fifty-dollar haircut on a fifty-cent head. ~Garrison Keillor

3. nick writes:

It must be a pain to be someone in the public eye who’s obliged to look impeccable at all times and forced to go through all the prettifying rituals you describe. The slightest failure of the beauty regime and everyone will comment on your wrinkles or cellulite or unruly hair. With ruthless glee.

@Lucien, bless your cotten or woven-wool socks. I particularly liked “the adoration of fools is bad for the soul”

@Nick welcome! Absolutely! I’m very lucky in that ‘smart’ is the basic dress-code at my workplace, where I meet the public. While I currently achieve smart without make-up, heals, hair dyes, I suspect that using these accessories would be seen as putting in appropriate effort…

Who needs cosmetics when there is PhotoShop and morph.com?

6. Paul G. writes:

Ah yes, Photoshop. Because the real-you somehow isn’t good enough…

Alas, ‘the real you isn’t good enough’ is certainly the fundamental marketing premise for so many products targetted at women (make-up, diets, surgery, hair stuff etc). I suspect Scarlet was making that same point in her own cheeky way 🙂