can you improve cemetery junction?
Can you improve Cemetery Junction?
Is it so gorgeous that any changes are more likely to ruin its existing gorgeousity?
Is it so icky that people have given up hope of being able to improve it without first obliterating it?
The question raises all sorts of emotionally charged, creative, cynical, optimistic, pragmatic and other reactions from people who live near, or pass through, the infamous local junction of the A4 (London Road) and A329 (Kings/Wokingham Road).
A local councilor, Rob White, is working with local action groups to improve the Cemetery Junction area. At the moment he’s consulting with locals. The co-op has a big cardboard suggestions box decorated with a collage of magazine pictures of pretty things. Excellent stuff. It made me feel like being back at school where having a go was important, encouraged and easy.
I’m loving the humour and creativity evident in this summary of suggestions to improve cemetery junction made on a ‘Get Reading’ news article:
- i’m thinking giant dinosaurs
- how about a cinema or a roller disco?
- Make it a spooky theme park
- How about a monorail?
- A small tactical thermo-nuclear device
- Bit of paint and a clean should do it….or if you really wanna prettify it, hanging baskets
- An underpass
- make a big roundabout where resturant is
- Nuke the site from orbit. It’s the only way to be sure
- re-install the gallows that used to stand on the site now occupied by The Granby? It might act as a deterrent to the hoodies and wannbie gangsters in that area
- What about an H Bomb?
- Prevent shop keepers and traders from parking cars and vans on the pavements
- The overhanging bushes on the London Rd side need trimming… …new paving and signage
- can’t be improved – its a dead loss
- A Tesco supermarket each side of the road, with a couple of Tesco Expresses sprinkled around Liverpool and Cholmeley Roads
- big ornamental archway would brighten up the area considerably
- Give me some explosives and a bulldozer and Ill give you instant results. Guaranteed
- Zombie Apocalypse