boyish, not masculine

tags:

a comment on my new bob haircut:

“it suits you, its boyish without being masculine”

Most of the commenter’s conversations are liberally dosed with references to gender stereotypes. It’s tiresome. It smells of the inference that I aspire to distance myself from female stereotypes by aligning with male stereotypes

I have no aspiration to align with male gender stereotypes

Gender stereotypes are essential tools for prejudice and discrimination. I can aspire to have creative skills, be organised, be healthy, witty and develop my spelling skills. Clearly, the stereotypes for these behaviours need not be tied to gender. How wonderful if more Brits started thinking and talking in terms of knowledge skills and values. Dropping reference to, and thereby perpetuation of, gender stereotype

Lets strive to weaken the lives of gender stereotypes by simply not using them. Let thier power for supporting prejudice die through simple neglect and obscurity. Hoorah!

7 bits of lovely banter on “boyish, not masculine”

This won’t catch on in France… not with all their La and Le’s!
    Anyhow, you are looking very Louise Brooks today.

Excellent that the English language has built-in equality, I blame the Scandinavians, excellent foresight!
    PS you’re looking very Louise Brooks today too, it might be contagious!

2. nick writes:

If only we could just be ourselves without someone bringing up the G word. It’s so restricting. The rigid convention about men not wearing “female” clothes is particularly frustrating. Thankfully that other convention about men not showing any emotion except anger is gradually crumbling.

I love Eddie Izzard’s contribution of the idea of “total clothing rights”

3. Christer Hellström writes:

Now.. this may well be a scandinavian thing, but who is Louise Brooks?
    Christer

Louise Brooks was a silent movie actress who popularised the bob haircut in the 1920’s. She lead an unusual life

4. Christer Hellström writes:

Fascinating! Thanks for the tip.
    C