scribbling for work

tags: , ,

mobile of deconstructed dictionaryToday an international professional magazine printed an article I submitted under my professional pen-name

Writing the blog has helped improve my professional writing. As you may have guessed, essentially I’m a geeky heavily qualified (PhD) academic working in the business world.  Blogging has helped me learn to express myself in a different voice, less constructed to fit into conceptions of ‘expert’. It was tough trying to write a magazine article engaging an intelligent, novice, audience.  Odd that it should still be so tough, but it was

I’ve had my name on academic and magazine articles before, but other people wrote and coordinated the publication.  Contributing original thought and effort meant that I was one name on a list of authors. I wrote this article myself and dealt directly with the managing editor and sub-editor. They were extremely helpful. Professional editors provide such high quality constructive feedback.  The sub-editor said he generally found the articles he reviewed rather dull but he enjoyed reading my piece. That praise alone made my day!

In the same week an old friend, an academic, explained why he didn’t use his Facebook account:

… one of my nightmare students (had really serious issues) wanted to friend me.  I didn’t feel I could say no (she really had problems) but from that moment on I realised I could never use my account…

Reminiscent of times in my work-life where I’d consulted Personnel, Human Resources, services to advise on dealing with challenging situations, why I use an unprofessional pen-name for my blog

Personnel and Editorial professionals ROCK!

8 bits of lovely banter on “scribbling for work”

Well done, Wendy!!

Have you ever read either of the Pocket Muse books? I will mail details, I think you might like them.

Thanks Ms S, I haven’t read the pocket muse books, they sound the right size for me! Your many different and creative ways of being encouraging are always appreciated 🙂

2. nick writes:

Well done you! Jenny writes a lot of academic articles. I think when she started she was rather taken aback by the frankness of the criticism but now she finds it extremely helpful.

Ta Nick, people who can give and recieve feedback in good spirits are special people 🙂

3. Happy Frog and I writes:

I had a suitably appropriate anti-spam word which I of course won’t reveal but made me smile. Congratulations on your deserved achievement. Excellent news.

Thanks Happy Frog and I, glad the anit-spam word made you smile

4. Bux writes:

your anti spam words always make me smile and are most definitely pyschic!

Well done Wendy. Although I’d guessed at your academic achievements, your geeky PhD side is well balanced with your humorous and always entertaining social (networking) butterfly persona 🙂

oOOooo.. thanks Bux! The title of the magazine article was inspired by Scarlet’s liberal use of double-entendre, I was suprised they let it through, but maybe the USA editors didn’t realise the double meaning…