keeping a roof on it
I enjoy reflecting on the last year, remembering all the fun things that happened and then weighing those up against the things that have caused pain. So this is an uncharacteristically long scribble. You’ll see from the bullet points below, this year has been a good year
Highlights of 2011:
Fun with friends – Including a
- Solstice celebration with some Berkshire locals
- Barcelona holidaywith friends from University, Seattle, and work
- Loughborough get together with some Doctors and an Italian from my University days
- St. Ives meeting with a real lumberjack and an exceptionally engaging blogger
- Bunch of local Reading town house parties – Reading town people have a wonderful community spirit
- Wrote, illustrated, got feedback on, revised then submitted a short story to a competition (unplaced). Thoroughly enjpyed my friends generous feedback on their experiences of the story. Listening to their interpretations was fun and inspiring
- Regular blog readers, some of you have been dropping by for all of the 6 years that I’ve been blogging! You deserve long-term service awards thank you for all the encouragement
Fun with family – several family trips including:
- Christmas pantomime – seeing ‘The Hoff’ play captain Hooke at the Bristol Hippodrome. The man can sing!
- Birthday outing to see ‘We will rock you’ lots of audience participation!
- Holiday in Hull uncovering family history from my favourite Aunt then meeting her daughter in Barcelona…
- Wandering around the ‘See no evil’ graffiti in Bristol with my brother was fascinating – more public art please!
Fun on my own – included
- Long weekend in Dungeness – Derek Jarmans garden, light houses, power stations, bleak beaches and fabulous locals
- Studying for and getting a PRINCE2 practioners Project Managers qualification
- The fabulous funky barnet giving me a new Bob which appears to be a crowd pleaser!
- Writing an article that was selected for publication in an international, professional, magazine
- Fabulous new Miele washing machine and HTC Desire phone!
- Successfully completing all last year’s resolutions! Writing ink-pen letters, completing another painting, producing an illustrated story for a competition, home grown edible crops of raddishes, spring onions and courgettes
- finding a fabulous foxy hat – for me!
- A pay rise and a bonus that funded my trip to Barcelona
Lowlights of 2011
- No new roof – Waiting 7 months and making many phone calls to get the results of a pre-application for planning permission to install solar tiles on the wendy house roof. The pre-application resulted in advice to use different tiles and the builder recommended not bothering to install alternative tiles. A builder turning down work?! I took the builders advice
- Taking a break from working as a Samaritans in favour of supporting the emotions of people nearer to home
Resolutions for 2012
Healthier lifestyle – including things like
- Proactively use Reading’s True food co-operative more often
- Continue using my garden to grow plants that I subsequently eat. Yummy – fresh from the garden
- Reduce my alcohol consumption and shift to drinking wine rather than ale
- More regular exercise of some kind built into my daily activities.
- Get out some more. I’m still a bit of a hermit, enjoying my home and the company of Sampo
Something ‘Housey’ – maybe one of the following…
- Paint some rooms to change their ‘mood’
- Replace the bath – its gradually falling apart but works ok
- Replace the fitted mdf cupboards with fitted tongue and groove cupboards
- Get a furniture maker to design and build Edwardian style fitted cupboards around the fireplace
- Replace the ceilings in the bedroom by opening-up the space to see the rafters and adding modern insulation to the roof from the inside
Step back up to make more socially valuable contributions – this could be
- Re-joining the Samaritans
- Finding, engaging in, or setting-up, a mentoring scheme for women in the IT industry
- Investigating ways to encourage the British Psychological Society to systematically contribute to the IT industry
- Changing the focus, content, of this blog to be more effectively supportive of a wendy-worthy cause
I hope your 2011 bought you some heart-felt smiles and 2012 will bring you more. I’d love to hear your suggestions for ways I could make this blog more valuable, relevant, to you…