McAfee is a desktop BULLY!

tags: , , , , , ,

McAfee bullies its way onto my desktopMcAfee thinks that I need a shortcut on my desktop for quick access to it’s internet security software.

I disagree because I:

1. can easily find McAfee with one-click from the desktop  from a system tray icon- the desktop shortcut is redundant
  2. NEVER need one-click quick access to McAfee – when it isn’t already open
  3. keep a clean desktop – it has no shortcuts or documents on it. I find this aesthetically pleasing and it doesn’t interfere with what I’m actually doing

But McAfee is not content to simply disagree with me, it proactively bullies me! – everytime I delete the desktop shortcut – it REPLACES it!!!!!   This is worse than merely ignoring my request – this is reversing my request, ignoring me with knobs on!

Luckily, I’m prepared to spend time playing around in software settings, so I set off to find the “Don’t automatically place a shortcut cut on the desktop” setting in the main program.  Guess what? There isn’t one!!!!!! It take a lot longer to find out that something doesn’t exist, then to find that it does, because it requires a complete, exhaustive, search. That makes me 700 exclaimation marks ANGRY!!!!!!!

Maybe I can suggest to McAfee that they change this poor user experience, or maybe they can tell me how to remove the pesky, unnecessary, irritating, shortcut. A trip to the McAfee website might help. What do you think?

I had to install “Citrix Gotoassist” before I could chat to my “representative”. If this software is an integral part of the McAfee service then it should be pre-installed with the application and available from within the application. This would reduce the number of technical hoops that the wendy has to jump through when she needs support. It would also reduce the time taken to get first-time support.

My representative told me that the design team are working on an improvement that will be included in the next automatic update. Excellent.

If McAfee had employed user experience experts to review their software they would never have made such a basic software design error in the first place.

My security software should be inobtrusive, it should be there and accessible. It should not be bullying me and requiring me to install extra components before answering my support questions. Generally a very poor show by McAfee

McAfee is a desktop BULLY!

8 bits of lovely banter on “McAfee is a desktop BULLY!”

1. Kay Guest writes:

I used to deal with bullies on the bus. They never messed with me. Do you want me to contact McAfee for you? I must come across as a sweet lady but I’m really a Georgia redneck at heart. Just let me know!

Oh kay – I could definitely use your hearty redneck occassionally…

2. Will Watts writes:

Adobe Reader is another app cut from the same cloth. Every time it upgrades itself – which feels like every other day – it reinstates its desktop-polluting short cut. I mean, who opens a PDF by opening Adobe Reader first? You just double click the file you want.

This behaviour has driven me into the arms of alternative PDF readers (specifically Foxit). Take that, Adobe. First you incurred the displeasure of the great, late St Steve Jobs, now mine. I bet you are trembling.

Will, Adobe has been irritating me with its fertile versioning, thats for the Foxit tip…

3. JamesNT writes:

From Raymond Chen is a blog post that talks about this:

There are many programs that go out of their way to be annoying. Many manufacturers of software, sometimes software that costs thousands, fail to understand that their number one goal is to make users more productive.

JamesNT

4. JamesNT writes:

Wendy, if I may make a recommendation, you may wish to check out Microsoft Security Essentials. It is far less annoying that McAfee or Symantec.

JamesNT

5. Stefan writes:

(Off-topic: interesting captcha 🙂 I’ll not repeat it here, but it’s basically a puff of usually offensive smelling gas …)

On-topic: I’m not sure about Windows 7, but on my Windows XP Pro if I click on the desktop with my right mouse-button, the little menu that appears says “Arrange icons by >” at the top. The submenu that then appears has a setting that says “Show desktop icons” with a little checkmark in front of it, and I can turn that off. When it’s turned off, and I always have it turned off, it does not show a single icon on my desktop.

Since I use Webshots to display my own favourite photos on my desktop (and as screensaver), I really dislike any icons on my desktop 🙂

Of course, McAfee should ASK you if you want an icon on your desktop, with the possibility of checking something to never have that question asked again. In that respect I fully agree with Raymond. But my workaround makes me indifferent to any icons on the desktop: I never see them anyway 🙂

HTH,
    Stefan

Stefan, I’ve found the ‘hide’ desktop-icons control on Vista and Windows 7! It’s like a magic invisibility cloak for mess! Thanks for sharing!