who’s on the train today?

tags: , , ,

Circle line 5.15pm Westbourne ParkSometimes I get to ride on the trains. It’s expensive and fascinating. I like to guess who the other passengers are and why they are there. To wonder why other people aren’t there. Sometimes I get to talk to Robots or passengers who aren’t indulged in the social norm of trying to maintain their privacy in this very public space

On this 5.15pm midweek circle line train approaching Paddington from the west, there was:

• 1 person (other than me) who looked like a woman – where are the other women?
  • 1 person (other than me) who looked over 45 years – where are the 50+ people?
  • 1 person (other than me) wearing brightly coloured clothes – where are the people who adore wearing brightly coloured clothes?
  • 1 person (other than me) standing-up
  • 1 person who looks under 18 years – where are the other children?
  • 1 person looks non-caucasian
  • no-one (other than me) wearing a hat

On this train I was definitiely a ‘different’ passenger….

who’s on the train today?
1 vote rating 4

8 bits of lovely banter on “who’s on the train today?”

1. Kay Guest writes:

Everyone looks so nice and quiet. The last time I was on a train in England, the loudest talking woman in the world came and sat next to me. Just my luck!

Kay, I suspect you were on a National rail train where people do indeed feel the right to talk to each other. The tube lines appear more successfully conversationally oppressive…

2. Will Watts writes:

A few years ago, I got on the Tube about 11am. In a carriage containing six adult people, all travelling independently, I was

1. the only male, but more interestingly

2. the only person not reading a Harry Potter novel.

Btw, I am with Kay Guest as far as talking goes. Library rules of silence should apply in Tube trains – all the better to consume JK Rowling. Mobile phones should be instantly confiscated. It is the only language their owners understand.

Will, 11am sounds like a dangerous time to travel. Anyone who can persist with the Potter novels is a scary person indeed…

3. Bux writes:

that looks like a depressing bunch to share a train ride with, I bet you brightened things up though! Speaking of hats, mine is off to you for taking the picture. Although I take my camera absolutely everywhere with me, I usually feel too embarassed to take pictures in certain scenarios like the one above.

Bx

Bux, I was holding the camera at belly-button height which gave my an extra shot of skulky courage…

4. Emille writes:

The Tube is very fast and practical, but I hate going to the main hall to see when my train arrives!
    I am Dutch by the way, having lived for 20+ years in the US,
    but my best friends keep moving to the UK!

Welcome Emille! tube trains seem to come every 3 or 4 minutes, you can just hop on. I’m not sure tube stations have main halls so trying to find one would certainly introduce problems! Love your artwork 🙂