3rd time unlucky for the big town

tags: , ,

Mother ReadingOnce again, for the 3rd time, Reading town’s bid to become a city has failed. Reading town suffers from city appraisal anxiety

I rather like living in such a well-endowed town, though manyย  townsfolk seem to have a chip on their shoulder about Reading repeatedly not being made a city. Big town even sounds good like ‘Big heart’ or ‘Big ted

According to the BBC’s description of the recent bid Reading town was a bookies favourite to win city status. Our local ‘civic leaders’ believe that attaning city status will provide Reading town with ” huge economic, cultural and social benefits to the area, as well as a jobs boost.”

I wonder what has changed for the people in the towns that were promoted to cities for the Millenium and in 2002?ย  Have Brighton and Hove, Wolverhampton, Inverness, Preston and Newport all experienced HUGE cultural, social and economic growth since achieving city status?

3rd time unlucky for the big town

9 bits of lovely banter on “3rd time unlucky for the big town”

1. Kay Guest writes:

I really like that window you have shown here. Is it a present from Reading, Pennsylvania and is it in your town hall there?

Kay – yes the window was a present from Reading Pennsylvania and it does hang in our lovely town hall here. Good friends across the atlantic. I just love pressies, and this one is a present of friendship, inspiration, and coloured light. Fabulous! x W

Kay Guest writes

“Friendship, inspiration and coloured light”…you have such a nice command of the English language…oh wait, you are English!

2. Bux writes:

Interesting, even town’s seek promotion in modern times ๐Ÿ™‚ Tell Reading it’s all about labels Wendy….if she (I’m assuming she is a she and not a he?) feels like a City, acts like one….then she jolly well is one and the civic leaders should get over their city egos. There! I feel much better now. ๐Ÿ™‚

quite so Bux!

3. James writes:

I’m posting this from Perth, which just received official city status in the most recent batch – though it has been referred to as a city for as far back as records go, around eight centuries. (There was some controversy in making the application in the first place: given the slight ambiguity over whether it was already a city or not, applying and being refused could have weakened the claim.)

I don’t think it makes a huge difference, but being a very big town has much more appeal to it than being a tiny city!

James, Congratualtions Perth! We have Reading city Buses. City, town? Pah, just gettig o with being fabulous, that’s what’s important ๐Ÿ™‚

4. ExpatEgghead writes:

I always wondered why Wells, Somerset near to where I grew up was a city. I never liked the cathedral argument or having a Bishop and a market. Perhaps Reading could go for the cathedral bit.

Expat, Wells is just gorgeous – that’s enough! My parents live in Somerset, when I lived with them I would catch the bus into wells on day trips to the market and to ‘hang out’ watching the Sawns and locals…. Still visit occassionally…