Australian surgeon pulls my arm

tags: , , , , , , , ,

8pm 13th August

The unnamed Australian is about to go off shift.

He explains that I need an operation to ‘pin’ the arm. It’s a tricky operation and he wants a good night’s sleep before doing it. They’ll be keeping me in over night for “Obs”, but there are no beds available so I’ll have to stay in the A&E waiting room.

Broken arm. Dead cell-phone. I wonder what more the night holds.

The surgeon injected some drug into the fracture before pulling my arm to ‘reduce’ the misalignment of the broken pieces.

It hurt a lot.

I screamed a bit.

He gave me a lovely hug, just like a parent with a hurt child. That moment of thoughtful kindness was wonderful and helped keep my spirits from crashing dramatically across the next 4 hours. Instead they slowly spiralled downwards

Australian surgeon pulls my arm
1 vote rating 4

7 bits of lovely banter on “Australian surgeon pulls my arm”

I grimaced apon reading. You poor thing. Did they put you on a trolley in A&E?

No trolley’s available. My one source of relief was another patient, a female Jockey who was allergic to horseflies and had been bitten by one on the wrist. As the hours passed her wrist got bigger and bigger. She was a real ‘dont mess with me’ character and kept demanding things like a cup of tea. Her mood stayed robust while I gradually descended into a blubbering mess.

Scarlet writes

I have recently discovered that it pays to be determinedly vocal and demanding. It doesn’t feel good at the time – but you have to show you mean business to get the required response.

2. James Sutherland writes:

Ouch!

Not quite on a par with snapping your arm in half, but having acquired a ‘frozen shoulder’ this week I feel an extra bit of sympathy there now!

Getting stuck in the waiting room for overnight obs is a bit rough. The one time I was kept in overnight (for obs after a bus crash where I hit my head and lost consciousness) I did at least get a bed – no food, though, I was admitted just after they did the food orders for the next 24 hours.

Hi James, love the empathy, but wounding yourself to get there is perhaps a bit extreme 😉

Over the past few weeks I’ve learned quite a bit about how to ‘use’ the NHS to get what is needed in a more efficient way. In the next post you’ll find out how I accidentally got myself a bed….
    W x

3. Kay G. writes:

If an American doctor ever hugged me, it would shock me so I would probably have a heart attack.
    Sounds like you are having quite a time of it. How are you able to type?

Kay, I type slowly with one hand. I do everything slowly with one hand at the moment. Then sleep to recover from the concentration… I’d like to make hugs and kitty affection available on the NHS because they’ve both got such inner feel-good properties 🙂