missing drugs chart

tags: , , , , , ,

PJs12noon 14th August

ward nurse: I can’t find your drug chart, you don’t seem to have a drug chart!

She looked flustered

wendy: I’ve made a note of what drugs I’ve been given and the times they were given to me, if that helps?

The nurse looked more relieved as I read my notes to her. The Worthing hospital team never found my drugs chart. From what I’ve seen of their documentation it omits many key details and is frequently inaccurate – for example the name of my GP is wrong and I repeatedly pointed this out. They normally replied by telling me it was actually accurate on some other document that I hadn’t seen. As if getting the information right on one document makes it ok to have it wrong on this one. This is frighteningly poor reasoning for people that are looking after my health.

When I was let out from Worthing the junior doctor (F2) said that I didn’t have a drugs chart because when I was admitted (reported to reception of the A&E) I’d said that I wasn’t

• normally taking any drugs
  • allergic to any drugs

I was impressed by how this explanation actually implicitly blamed me for the fact that while in hospital, where they gave me drugs, no-one bothered to keep a written track record of what drugs I’d been given, in what doses, and at what times. Their blazĂ© (not our fault) attitude to their behaviour that produced a major patient safety risk was quite Flabberghasting!

6 bits of lovely banter on “missing drugs chart”

It’s like some sort of psychological torture game…. I wonder what the you were supposed to say at the reception stage?

I was probably meant to name a contraceptive and some pills to treat a mental disorder….that NHS staff EXPECT people to arrive at A&E already on regular prescription drugs suggests they have accepted a perverted view of the world that overrates thier own importance – ie its difficult for them to function effectively with people that do not regularly use thier medical services. Tiger had similar problems.

2. Indigo Roth writes:

It’s ALL our fault! Did ya not realise?!

Indeed, the universe is conspiring to remind me that I am complicit in bloopers

3. FJ writes:

Security word today was “********” – how did it know? Wendy I have the same problem – recently asked if I was on any medication before treatment – when I said “no” – the reply was “are you sure?”

[wendy removed the security word - see 'play nicely' rule 7]