black screen of death – suicide computers

tags: , , , , , , ,

Black screen of deathWhen I got to work I found the door kicked-in and half a dozen laptops stolen. Booo!

The desktop computer I was planning to use wasn’t stolen. Phew!

When I turned it on this frustrating black message showed-up.  Disbelievingly I rebooted the computer 3 x. Just incase. It didn’t make any difference.  Poo!taking the hard drive out to fix it

Our IT department had a super-hero taking-out the hard drive and getting my stuff on a working (Apple) hard drive, in less than 30 minutes.  Though I suspect that actually having an external boot disc for the computer would have been much quicker.  But who uses external boot CD’s these days?!temporary replacement computer

After such a dramatic ‘where’s my computer gone’ day at work I was relieved to be home.  The Cupboard had other ideas. She was considering a sympathy suicide. She leapt to the floor. Bollocks. She may have shown me a blue screen of death, but all I can remember was this monochrome thing when I attempted a reboot to fix it.   She’s defintiely passed away.

Dad has always claimed that I have special powers over electrical equipment. He’s an electrician, he knows these things. He says I can break electrical goods by merely looking at them.  I was never allowed to go near electrical equipment as a child.  At least it was for a good reason, not like –  ‘you can’t do that you’re a girl’. My life experience suggests that dad was onto something.

Cupboard bites the dustI need a new computer….. oooooeererrr.

Hooray!  New toy!

What should I get? ipad? Chrome thingy? Surface thingy?

9 bits of lovely banter on “black screen of death – suicide computers”

1. James Sutherland writes:

Strangely, I found something similar visiting the office last week (I only work one day per week for them, half of that from home, most of the rest from another office) – fortunately, my disks there were a mirrored pair, so I was confronted by a working machine with an alarming warning message on boot, rather than a dead machine!

iPads are nice – semi-new one coming out very soon apparently (minor update to the iPad 3?), Surface has some appeal too. Would a tablet do as a computer replacement, though? They can do MOST things – word processing, web surfing, email, music – but there are plenty of limitations still.

Hi James, After a day marvelling at the lack of knowledge and pretty faces of young in-store computer sales people – oh, and playing with Tablets like the Samsung Galaxy etc I’ve come to the conclusion that a large netbook (not windows starter) or small laptop suits my use pattern best. I like USB ports for device charging and accessories. Because windows8 is due out next week prices of windows 7 machines are (fine for me) falling. I would like to try owning a tablet, but I’m not prepared to pay a premium for it – e.g. have tablet and laptop, or have tablet with mulitple expensive accessories to make it suie my needs (e.g. wireless keyboard). Looks like I can spend as little as £250 for a reasonable solution (Lenovo, Acer) – the same as I spent on thje cupboard and getting more.Found a ‘refurbished’ list on Asus manufacturers website. Interesting. Manufacturers refurbished should be as good as new…. http://shop.asus.co.uk/shop/gb/en-GB/Home/1-Products/752-ASUS-Outlet.aspx

James Sutherland writes

That sounds good – I’m getting the impression the top-end Surface with the nearly-keyboard (“Type Cover” as opposed to “Touch Cover”?) will probably make a reasonable laptop, but at a much higher price than those machines. A nice Win7 machine would be the best bet for you I’d say, I hope you get a nice machine in the end!

I put Win8 on my laptop yesterday, then added one of the third-party tools to restore the proper Start Menu instead of the geometrical mess. The new style window borders look quite primitive compared to anything since Windows 3.1, but I suppose I might get used to it.

2. ExpatEgghead writes:

Small Dell laptop. Docking station. Two, repeat 2 external monitors. SSD drive for laptop and an external petabyte drive for backup and films. Windows 7 64 bit Professional and Ubuntu as dual boot Os’s. Wireless keyboard and mouse for home use. Stay away from Windows 8 until the first service pack is released.
    There, I’ve said it.

YAY Expat! There’s a lot in your recomendation that is directly on my shopping list and has come from other trusted sources (Dell, Windows 7 64 bit, dual-boot). The two external monitors will take some thought. What’s the 2nd external monitor for? I’m using the TV as my 1st external monitor. Of course I’m wont to plan carefully then go and do something completely off-piste on impulse so I can’t promise that I’ll get any of this when I see the BIG Acer Lambourghini sponsored laptop….

ExpatEgghead writes

Have two monitors connected to the same machine is now de rigeur. e.g. browser on one screen, word processor on the other. Reduces alt-tab stuff. Mind you, not many laptops have dual graphics support.

Of course, I have 2 screens at work – the open laptop screen as the laptop if propped onto a stand with external keyboard/mouse from a USB hub and the fabulously large external monitor that tells everyone who walks by how fabulous I am…. …now I understand…

3. Stefan writes:

(Too) large HP laptop from my work (not my own/choice) with Win7 Pro, Android phone, small mouse on a cord (I dislike all the wireless stuuf because it always needs charging or batteries replaced…), small-size external USB-harddrive for travel (250Gb), large (1 Terabyte) external USB-drive for backups and storage (usually lives in my safe, unless I need it). No external monitors.

I tend to stay away from the fruit-brand with the bite out of it, dislike the big guy from Redmont but have no choice as my employers usually do not support anything else, and after careful consideration decided that a tablet does not have any additional value (for me) besides as a paperweight.

Actually, thinking about it: Loading Ubunut as dual-boot OS on my laptop does sound like a very good idea, since I am using this laptop for personal stuff as well. Hmmm, nice project for a rainy afternoon. Thanks Expat for the idea :-)

Stefan! I wouldn’t have a clue how to talk Ubuntu into doing anything useful for me, but it sure sounds cool. The dual boot and dual monitor all make oooodles of sense… I’ve already got the 2 external drives (Travel and Back-up) and wired mouse so I’m feeling prepared! I too am not a fan of too many battery/bluetooth dependent peripherals