swee’ tea

tags: , ,

Teapots, glitterball, white sheets & thatchwendy: in the 70’s I used to take 2 teaspoons of sugar in my tea

4 people under 40: *WINCE and scowl*

wendy: actually my whole family used to drink tea with at least one teaspoon of sugar in it

4 people under 40: *chorus of: YUCK with liberal nosewrinkles*

wendy: come to think of it, everyone I knew drank tea with at least one suger in it

4 people under 40: *leave the room shaking their heads and tutting*

Times have changed…

swee’ tea
1 vote rating 4

8 bits of lovely banter on “swee’ tea”

I used to have one teaspoon of sugar in my tea, but I didn’t stir it. When I had finished drinking the tea I would slurp out the hot sugar goo from the bottom of my mug much to the disgust of all age groups who watched me do this 🙂

2. Tim writes:

I stopped putting sugar in my tea when my mother pointed out that my father did. Make of that what you will. (Also, I discovered it tasted nicer, obvs.)

3. Kay G. writes:

Sweet tea is cold and is served over ice cubes in a tall glass. It is so good on a hot Georgia day!
    Yorkshire tea is my favorite hot tea, with a bit of coffeemate and milk and 1/2 teaspoon of sugar.

Kay, I only recently discovered, and fell in love with, Amercian Iced tea. Gorgeous on a warm day. Even better than real lemonade! But your blog has disappeared, I do hope you’re ok. W x

4. James Sutherland writes:

I quite like tea, but never sweeten it – just a generous dose of milk. (Oddly, in coffee I take very little milk; never sweeten that either.) My brother and mother like more milk; my sister in law does take sweetener in her tea though.

Your comments suggest that the passing of sugar-taking-in tea is clearly almost complete. What was once a common and acceptable practice is now disaproved-of in public. I suspect there are some secretive sugerers….

6. Stefan writes:

Only two? Eeww … that’s way too bitter for me (even now…)

Although I mostly drink coffee these days, and put 4 sugars in that …

(some people think I used to be a horse in a previous life)

Stefan, I admire your courage that allows you to abandon the social pressure (in England) to deny all sugar-in-tea consumption, even historical. You deserve a medal!