omnishambles

tags: ,

silly name,  or is it?I’m thrilled that the Oxford English Dictionary names the ‘word of the year’.  The thought of a group of word specialists discussing the merits of different new words they’ve heard this year has kept me entertained for months. Omnishambles is this year’s UK word. It is defined as:

a situation that has been comprehensively mismanaged, characterised by a string of blunders and miscalculations

Here are example situations where I might use this word in everyday converstion:

• even an omnishambles could not have produced a lasagne of such disastrous proportions
  • climate change was blamed for the public transport omnishambles
  • we christen this baby ‘omnishambles’

The Oxford dictionary chooses a different new word for American English.  This year they chose GIF (Graphics Interchange Format).  A much more sensible word that’s a tad less fun. I can’t imagine actually using GIF’s creatively in my normal conversation (though I have some fun GIF’s on Sparkle).

omnishambles
1 vote rating 4

8 bits of lovely banter on “omnishambles”

1. Indigo Roth writes:

Hey Wendy!

Today’s anti-spam word is “********” [word removed by wendy to comply with play nicely rule 7]. I think that’s a better word than either Omnishambles or GIF. I’m just saying!

As for three knobs, it’s like they know me. Spooky. Tho I may need to fire my tailor.

Roth x

Welcome back Indigo, I hope your tailor has a fire extinguisher to hand

2. Will Watts writes:

The American selection (or rather selection on behalf of America) of ‘GIF’ seems a bit 1995, bringing to mind CompuServe and the UniSys patent. I am unconvinced of the resurgence of the format. You don’t even have one of those little animations of an envelope addressing and sending itself, labelled ‘Get in contact’, on this page – which is natch the epitome of with-it blog design.

BTW: HNY! and all that.

Will, I’m disturbed by my blog’s lack of with-it blog design epitome so I’ve added this animated gif flying envelope to the bottom of the side-bar that opens the local computer’s email client when clicked on (if they allow it). Incase it irritates me so much that I have to remove it here’s a copy that I’ll leave for posterity:
    flying envelope

Will Watts writes

What can I say? Thank you for humouring an Older Person in this way. He is v grateful.

Yes, in an intrinsically annoying field, you have definitely chosen a particularly annoying example. 🙂

Will Watts writes

Gah, accidentally ‘liked’ my own post. Didn’t mean to, your honour. The mouse slipped in my hand.

3. andrew writes:

am surprised no-one (yet – until this) has done the riff on GIF here…
    being that we should be wary of geeks bearing them (gifs I mean).

and was going to say that your anti-spam word is not working. It gave me [removed], which I read as [removed] and was going to say that is obviously wrong when applied to me. However, I do the obligatory web search required at such times and the first result mentions cheap shampoo, so that’s OK. It does work. Now I want to know how you did that, so i get that word….

Andrew, you expect correctly spelt anti-spam words from me?! your optimism is impressive 😉