Piñata

tags: , , ,

I had never heard of a Piñata when I moved to the USA. My manager was going out to buy one for a friend, I asked him what it was. He was gobsmacked that I didn’t know. How could I have lived a truly fulfilled life without knowing what a Piñata is? He explained that it was a colourful paper container, often shaped like a donkey, that is hung from a tree branch and people beat it with baseball bats until the sweeties it contains fall out.

wendy: so it essentially rewards people for being violent to something that looks like an animal?

manager:  yeeeeaarrh (he’s Texan)

wendy: Americans are strange people

Piñata
1 vote rating 5

7 bits of lovely banter on “Piñata”

1. dinahmow writes:

hahaha! Right on the button. (Actually, I’ve made pinata for parties and never thought of the animal /violence angle.Probably because mine didn’t look much like donkeys!)

Um… why is your word ver. “******” ? [word removed by wendy to align with ‘play nicely’ rule 7]

2. ExpatEgghead writes:

Yes. They are.

3. Kay G. writes:

Okay, you MUST make sure that everyone is FAR AWAY from the person swinging the bat to hit the pinata.
    Don’t ask me how I know this!

(And I could be wrong, but I think the idea came from Mexico.)

4. Pearl writes:

Actually I believe we can blame the Mexicans. 🙂 But yes, Americans are a bit crazy.

It’s the isolation you know. 🙂

5. Lufbra writes:

Sounds like a management game

6. Indigo Roth writes:

Hey Wendy! I never understood this, but I think all the symbolism falls away because it’s something that is simply colourful, harmless and exciting for kids. And full of sweets. Still, yes; they are odd. Indigo

7. ExpatEgghead writes:

Ahh.. I always wondered if the colourful festival in Villanueva de la Vera, Spain made it across the Atlantic. I saw it once and beating the hell out of a paper donkey is preferable to the real thing.