golden jubilee

tags: , , , , , ,

I’ll be 50 in November

I’m celebrating by doing something that would have inspired me as a teenager:  Driving the original Route 66 in a convertible. Flights and car booked today. Before the internet existed, I purchased paper versions of original maps. Finally, I’ll get to use them!

Friends will be meeting me before the journey, travelling part of the journey with me, and afterwards celebrating in my old home town of Seattle.  Finding a convertible to rent in Chicago, in late October, is not an easy task. So there’s already been some hard work and I’ve compromised. No Mustang…..

EXCITED levels are vibrating towards amber

Between now and October I’m collecting potential sights and stops on a Pinterest board: http://pinterest.com/thewendyhouse/route-66/

Being wendy, I’ll be visiting train stations, Bus stations, Cemeteries and Court houses along the way.  Please suggest unusual places to visit en-route.

golden jubilee
2 votes rating 5

7 bits of lovely banter on “golden jubilee”

Splendid idea!
    Now I will try to think of what inspired me when I was young. Watership Down?

2. Indigo Roth writes:

Hey Wendy! This sounds like a great adventure! I had something similar planned for the summer, but funds may not permit now 🙁 So, I’ll live the dream through you vicariously. Indigo x

3. Mathias writes:

Sounds like the trip of a lifetime!

We’ll have to make sure we get a chance to connect, whether that’s us heading south to meet you or while you’re in Seattle.

-Mathias

Mathias, I’ll send you my rough schedule and the firm Seattle dates

Indigo, my savings will disappear during this trip so the more vicarious enjoyment it provides – the better value for money – I suspect I’ll be blogging short stories for months afterwards….

Scarlet, the imagery of you, and your family, bouncing from bush to bush on the downs is most entertaining. Please use protection.

5. Mathias writes:

Yippee!

6. p-g writes:

(Remember to drive on the wrong side.)

7. ExpatEgghead writes:

I am so jealous. Envious, appalled that I missed my USA Road trip and you are planning it so well. I will watch with interest and would love to join you for a day or so.