why do innocent people need privacy?

tags: ,

I don't do mornings before 6amAttitudes towards the idea of privacy have changed radically across the last 30 years. People talked about privacy as if it was considered a natural right. Something valuable.

Now the attitude appears to be that if you’re innocent you don’t need privacy, if you want privacy then what are you trying to hide? Life is staged in public. Staged on the internet.

State organisations have changed their laws to align with this new highly public way of being. For example, the USA ‘Patriot Act’ allows the US Govt to write a letter to communications service providers in order to get access to, private (?), communications.

While this lack of privacy can be used to protect me, it can also be used by people who’s prejudices prevent them from seeing innocent differences.

I like privacy, I now consider it a luxury and a growing rarity.

why do innocent people need privacy?
8 votes rating 5

6 bits of lovely banter on “why do innocent people need privacy?”

Sometimes it’s nice to live in an area with connectivity issues.

2. bux writes:

I like my privacy, and it’s not because I am hiding anything either. I am protecting that which I do not wish to be public 😉

Sharing things that are private is a gift, of intimacy. Making everything public is to trivialise that intimacy. Despite being a prolific user of social media, I like my privacy….

Found this beautiful, well thought-out exploration of why privacy really matters:

I’d like to think that this principled man’s actions will lead to a change in direction. But I find it hard to imagine I don’t want public attention because I don’t want the story to be about me. I want it to be about what the US government is doing.”

American Civil Liberties Union comments on NSA practices: