hands-free portable cupholder

tags: , , , ,

Jeans with built-in coffee cup holderIPortable Cup Holder love how people extend the use of designs to solve their current problems.

There are no rubbish bins on this Reading town train station platform, nowhere to recycle a used coffee cup. This passenger has decided not to throw the empty cup on the floor, or carry it in his hand. The elastic properties of modern trousers afford him wedging the cup in his back pocket.

Maybe trouser waistbands already come with attachments to carry cups, like the loop in my sketch.

10 bits of lovely banter on “hands-free portable cupholder”

1. Indigo Roth writes:

Hi Wendy, this made me smile. You’re a little bit strange, aren’t you? I must pop down for a visit. Indigo

Ta! you charmer :-) For sure, visit Reading, We’ve got a new train station, it’s very impressive….

I suspect that that coffee cup wasn’t empty, otherwise he would have flattened it a little before putting it in his pocket. I foresee an interesting incident when he sits down.

but if he flattened it a bit wouldn’t he risk the inevitable ‘dribble’ making a small but distinctive soggy patch on his jeans and underwear? Hmmmmm I suppose the heat from his butt helps keep the contents ‘warm’, not something my simple device covers…..

3. Zed writes:

I have a feeling he’s asking for trouble sooner or later. Although my husband has been known to carry around eggs in his pocket and, rather irritatingly, hasn’t broken one yet.

maybe he’s got a couple of egg-cup holders stashed in there too….

4. ExpatEgghead writes:

Sheer genius. I love your design.

Thanks Expat! Prototype testing has revealed a couple of design constraints based on the fact that users want to put FULL cups into the loop.
    1) if the jeans are not ‘tight fitting’ or held in place by a belt, the full cup pulls them down
    2) spillage from full cup, or part full cup when running for the train – ouch!
    We’re thinking of making the loop into a belt attachment – this means the user only needs one loop and they can use it with a range of trousers and their Kilt! Hoorah
    We haven’t worked out how to solve the spillage angle yet…

5. ExpatEgghead writes:

Hmm. Perhaps a stiffener close to the body for orientation. As for a kilt, the sporran would double as a cup holder perhaps. Do ladies wear the sporran nowadays?

working on an insulated, waterproof, washable ‘cloth bag’ to contain the hot-swinging coffee cup