bayonets are so ‘not in’

tags: , ,

used lightsWhile having a bath the last bulb in my light fitting blew. Darkness.

The next morning I fought procrastination and took a trip to buy some bulbs. At the store I realised that I didn’t know what size or fitting to buy. I plumped for the ‘common’ size and bayonet fitting.

I found a screwdriver to open the sealed bathroom light fitting and a bar stool to stand on, then started fiddling. I managed to open the fitting without breaking the glass cover, remove the blown bulbs, then notice the bulbs were the unusually small screw fittings – not what I’d bought. A quick scout around the house uncovered a couple of small screw fitting bulbs in my bedside table lamps. Phew. Easier to go to bed in the dark than bathe in the dark. Screw fit bulbs in place and bathroom light fitting reconstituted.

Just call me capable. Even without the aid of power tools.

bayonets are so ‘not in’
1 vote rating 4

6 bits of lovely banter on “bayonets are so ‘not in’”

1. Indigo Roth writes:

Light bulbs infuriate me. All sorts. You have my kindest thoughts =) Indigo x

2. p-g writes:

The moral is: replace the first bulb to blow when it happens.
    Stitch in time. . . and all that.

alas I didn’t notice the first bulb blow, or the lack of light it provided

3. p-g writes:

…and buy yourself a step ladder before you do something serious.

I have a fabulous bi-fold ladder from the USA and a small 2step ladder. I’m equipped! The bar stool has very broad footing and seat space. Even professionals have used it in place of a small 2 step ladder when fiddling with things just above head.

5. James Sutherland writes:

It could be worse; the four recessed bulbs B&Q installed in mine all ‘go’ depressingly frequently, and one of the four has already given up the ghost entirely. (Apparently the cheap transformers the low-voltage fittings use are prone to overheating and premature failure.) They’re a real pain to change, particularly the two directly above the bath.

It all looks rather silly, too: after fitting, they realised the bulbs added up to about 40W of light – not enough to be useful. So, they had to fit a big central light fitting as well, rather ruining the effect of the little recessed lights…