smoke signals

tags: ,

Neighbours Bonfirewalking home from downtown I noticed a large stream of swirling white smoke coming from…. ….my house

Oh!

Maybe I left a candle burning unattended and my whole home is now going up in smoke. My heart sank and I broke into a run. Luckily it was just a garden bonfire in my neighbours garden. I took in my ash-speckled laundry and climbed the wall to talk to my neighbour. A group of people were clearing the badly overgrown garden, I acknowledged their good work and said next time I’d help of they warned me. Then a friend’s face turned up and I discovered that they’d bought the house, so I now have new neighbours who are old friends! Excellent result. Reading town is a small town in many ways.

smoke signals
4 votes rating 5

6 bits of lovely banter on “smoke signals”

1. p-g writes:

Bonfires still allowed in urban Britain? Amazing.

Most of Britain’s cities and big town’s are smoke free zones. I don’t live in a smoke free zone: http://www.reading.gov.uk/residents/environmental-health-and-protection/AirQuality/controlling-sources-of-pollution/smoke-control-areas/

3. Indigo Roth writes:

Hey Wendy! That’s great news! And a lovely photo; such beautiful colours! Indigo x

4. Barbara Lake writes:

Thank goodness it was merely a bonfire! Nice to have old friends turn up when you least expect them – provided you like them!

Last time I was in Reading it was for a Reading Rock!

I’m always worried I’ve left my hair straighteners on, often a mad dash home to discover that of course I have unplugged them.

6. James Sutherland writes:

A beautiful picture indeed – and funny how old friends can pop up on the doorstep like that. A few years ago – back in Scotland, after a happy time in Houston, TX – I was walking across the university campus for lunch, and suddenly bumped into a friend from Houston, six time zones away. Somehow, we’d ended up working for the same university, in adjacent buildings!