I’ve been driven around different desirable areas in Minneapolis (thanks Peggy Pearl!) and will get some home choosing advice from a professional realtor. For now, these are the things influencing my likely choice of Wendy House in Minneapolis.
Warehouse conversion in downtown Minneapolis as a home because:
- Meeting neighbours. Making friends, in lifts, in corridors, in the shared facilities – garden, gym, swimming pool, garage, other social spaces
- Managing structural maintenance. Apartments have management companies. I won’t need to find, interview service providers and make arrangement to let them have secure access then check their work and follow-up if there are any problems.
- Size appropriateness: Not too big, not too small, not too many bathrooms to clean, no huge basement or loft to fill with stuff that I don’t need or use. Under the bed is enough space for unused stuff….
- No snow shovelling to get my car out. A warehouse apartment must come with some form of covered, maintained garage.
- In home Sampo care. Some apartments provide a service for caring for your pet while you’re away
- Walking places. The sidewalks downtown will allow me to walk to places (temperature permitting) like a range of restaurants, shops and galleries
- Bus services nearby. The Minneapolis bus services were pretty good, the city centre provides a central hub enabling me to get all over the place easily, not just use the ‘local’ route that goes through the village.
- More people like me. Single, no children living with them and elderly.
Arts and Craft’s house in a village style location in suburbia as a home because:
- Commute time and traffic. My work place is in a suburb with some very nice villages within easy distance with relatively light traffic (compared to Berkshire or Seattle)
- Can’t hear neighbours. I love living in a detached home, though I’ve had a lucky history in town homes (terraced housing)
- Garden for Sampo. Sampo has always been an indoor cat, but she does enjoy a wander in the current Wendy House garden and watching the other cats and birds play there
- Property space for the price. I can get more square footage for my dollar. Feels like more of an ‘investment’.
- Gardening. The relaxing pleasure of planning, planting, caring for, and watching my own garden grow
Have I missed anything that you think it’s important to consider? How would you rate the value of things. Not hearing the neighbours is a fairly weighty requirement…