- Avoid buying new shoes before, or while on holiday. I like to do a lot of walking when on holiday and this can lead to new-shoe breaking in blisters….
- Never buy new clothes in advance of travelling (except shoes)
- Pack stuff that you know you won’t bring back like teabags, sanitary towels, gifts for friends – this gives you space to bring-back different things without overpacking for the return journey
- Pack your tatty old underwear, wear it, chuck it. Buy new underwear while on holiday. Always an entertaining experience, especially if there’re significant language barriers and sizing differences
- Under pack on ‘nice’ clothes and pick yourself a treat while you’re there, as a holiday memento. If you’re travelling outside of the UK it’s likely to result in cheaper, better quality and much more interesting clothing additions
- Only take one pair of spectacles and one hat (I normally fail at doing this)
I managed to get all my gear (technology and chargers included) for my 3 week 50th birthday USA tour into one bag, hand luggage size. There was some sitting on the case involved. Will the case survive the journey… …will it get a friend?